Our society was founded to bring together people of every background and all ages to grow fruit and vegetables. On the St Mary's Allotment site we have 90+ plots. The site reflects the diversity, ages and gardening experience of the local community. The individual plots are separated by grass paths. Many of the plots have sheds and greenhouses. We are very informal and friendly though there are a few council and site rules that must be adhered to.
The land is owned by Felpham Parish Council and managed on their behalf by a committee with the help of volunteers. It is a democratic body, electing officers who are responsible for managing the site, letting plots, communicating with plot holders, fixing and collecting rents, paying bills and carrying out routine maintenance.
We are a 'full facility' site. There is water on-site, taps are located within easy distance of nearly every plot. We provide wheelbarrows and 4-wheel trollies, there is a ready supply of well-rotted horse manure, sold at a very cheap price, the main paths are regularly mowed and there is a composting toilet. We have mowers for eveyone to use.
We have a secured Cabin at the entrance to our site which is used for various functions. It is opened using a key code and it provides an important meeting place with the facility of basic refreshments for all plot holders.
On the side of the outside of the toilet hut is our Plot holders' Notice Board which keeps everyone up to date with the latest news, notices, meetings and future events. Other Notice Boards are located at the west side gate and in the Cabin.
The allotments were initially on privately-owned land that was purchased in 1935 by Bognor Regis Urban District Council. At that time it was much larger, with the northern boundary hedge at Drygounds Lane. In 1938 a large section was purchased by West Sussex County Council under a Compulsory Purchase Order for the purpose of building Felpham by-pass. The northern boundary hedge was moved to its present position. In 1979 the allotments site was registered in the name of Arun District Council (ADC) and in 1982 was let to Felpham Allotments and Garden Society, that had been founded in 1976. ADC conveyed the land to Felpham Parish Council in 1987. There was no charge but three covenants were put in place, essentially to maintain the land as allotments. Today we continue to pay an annual rent to Felpham Parish Council.
Chair - Brian Rodgers firstname.lastname@example.org
Treasurer - Dave Suter email@example.com
Secretary - John Docherty firstname.lastname@example.org
Plots and Rental Officers - Anne Hall email@example.com